Monday, August 15, 2011

Chunk Wall

This year I’ve started a Chunk Wall in my room as part of our Balanced Literacy program. Teaching children to read and spell using chunks is wonderful! I usually give my firsties two chunks for the week that they work on in class and at home. This means no more spelling lists and no more memorizing words just for a test! It’s so much easier to see if your kiddos are really able to read and spell words when you teach using chunks. After all, if they know the chunk, they should be able to use it with multiple letters and sounds.

I don’t know about you, but we have a LOT of chunks that we teach throughout the year, and my wall space is a little limited. One of the wonderful teachers on my campus came up with the idea to put all of the chunks for each letter on a ring. This makes the Chunk Wall more interactive, and your firsties can take it to their seat as a resource.

Here’s a picture of what my Chunk Wall looks like in my classroom!

chunk wall

Creating your Chunk Wall is SO easy ya’'ll! Just type out all of your chunk words for the year (or you can do it as you go if that’s easier), add a picture for the chunk and put them on a ring. It doesn’t take up a lot of space, and you can have them all right there!

One very talented teacher on my team suggested having the kids write letters on post its to place stapled or taped at the beginning of the chunk. I love that idea, and I’ll let you know how it goes!


Signature

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love this idea! I'm having a "Simple Things" linky party right now. It's all about simple things like this that make a BIG difference! I'd love it if you would link this great idea!

Amy @ First Things First

Amy said...

Thank you for participating in the linky party! I love your blog!